Sunday, July 29, 2012

Eating Healthy- Vegan

I have been a fan of vegan and vegetarian food forever and even tried being a macrobiotic for a few years back in my early twenties. It was a lot of work back then as there were no restaurants you could go to and it meant cooking every meal and when you weren't actually cooking you were planning the next one. Between soaking beans, searching for seaweed and cooking large amounts of time consuming brown rice it was a major pain! But I felt great and I am sure I was much slimmer and healthier than I am today.
That said, I eat very clean and healthy and rarely consume red meat. When I do it's in the form of lamb or buffalo which are know to be relatively free of carcinogens and raised more sustainably than other meats. But I still really love a delicious vegetarian meal. 
I discovered Native Foods last week who prepare such cuisine and do it excellently. I know, I am late to the game as this chain of vegan restaurants has been around for at least a year (or more?)here in L.A. and was first opened in 1994, in Palm Springs of all places.
Anyway, the food is very well done with creative interesting ways to use alternative proteins such as tempeh, seitan and tofu- all very yummy. I enjoyed  one of their Earth bowls and a Chimi Chop salad last week and definitely will be returning for more.
The Earth bowls are a combination of steamed grains, your choice of vegetables and flavored with spices or sauces from countries such as, Morocco, Greece or Thailand and there is one bowl called Sesame Kale Macro bowl that is next on my list on my return visit. I found the food well seasoned, cooked perfectly and a large portion- enough for two less hungry souls.
The salad was huge and topped with a seitan that had been cooked with spices and thinly sliced to resemble cooked turkey which was served warm on top of a pile of mixed veggies. The seitan was strangely addictive as it is not meat but almost passes for meat and is filling and satisfying.
I love the concept of cafeteria style places that keep the prices down and lend themselves to casual dining outdoors which couldn't be more perfect for L.A. This is a must visit spot with friendly efficient service and delicious relatively healthy food.
For those of you who want to try your hand at my dish of tempeh with miso sauce- enjoy!




Tempeh Stir Fry with Miso Dressing
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients
Dressing
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons miso
1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley
Fresh pepper
Sauté
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1 small red pepper, diced
1 pound domestic or wild mushrooms, wiped clean, thinly sliced
8 ounces Tempeh, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound baby spinach leaves

Procedure
1.     Combine the canola oil, honey, miso, tamari, lemon, garlic, sesame oil and parsley in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
3.     Heat the vegetable oil in a large high sided skillet and sauté the onion and red pepper over medium high heat until slightly golden about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tempeh, seasoning with salt and pepper and continue to sauté until the tempeh is lightly browned about 8 minutes. Add the spinach and ¼ cup of water and quickly wilt. Add the dressing to the pan and toss gently. Spoon the mixture onto a platter and serve.

No comments: